Followers

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Jelly Receives Top Billing

Today is all about the Jell Bell.   His full name is Jelly Strawberry Donut.  TJ named him when he was seven.  I know the Butter Honey Biscuit is because he likes butter and honey on his biscuits but I am not sure how Jelly's name came about.  He does love strawberry donuts but he is not a jelly eater.   Truthfully, none of us even thought of the Butter/Jelly aspect.  It was funny when people started pointing it out.


Jelly had a little harder start in life than Butter did.   Jelly was one of about a hundred bunnies kept in a grassy RV lot to keep the weeds down.   A little girl got him close enough to the fence and yanked him under it.   That was his first "rescue".   She was not supposed to have pets so he was kept in a box under her mobile home.   Later, we found out she had done that to several other animals and lost them all one day to a very hot day.  But that's not Jelly's story.   A woman from our mobile home park saw some girls with him and they were not being very careful.  She took him away and put him in a small cage in her home.


She knew that we had a bunny so she asked me to come over and help her learn how to take care of him.   I copied about six pages about bunny care off the net and took it over.  The first thing I noticed was she was feeding him guinea pig food!   Bunnies are not supposed to have a lot of calcium and piggies need it.  So mixing their food is not a good move.   She gave him broccoli, which is not bad but not something you feed them very often.  Broccoli is very gassy and poor buns don't have a way to get rid of it.  Their digestive system is way delicate.  The last problem was the tiny cage.   Of course it was Butter's old cage and better than nothing but still too small. 



She thanked me for the help and I went home hoping things would turn out okay.   Dad kept saying we were going to end up with a second rabbit.  I told him he she had all the info she needed to take care of him properly and don't worry about it.  I thought about him from time to time but other than that life went on.   One day she asked me for more help with her bun and I went over to her house.   Sure enough, she asked me if I would take him because she was afraid she wouldn't take care of him right.  So we ended up with a grey dwarf rabbit to go with our mini lop.

Jelly Belly is more skittish than Butter due to his early life.   But still just as sweet!   He loves papaya, craisins, pineapple, apple, banana and the occasional Honey Nut Cheerio.   They aren't really supposed to have grains but it doesn't hurt once in a great while.  He loves the new Banana Nut Cheerios.   Looking at these pictures reminds me of big Jell has gotten.  Its hard to remember he was ever so small!   
He was neutered, just like Butter, and joined our family.   Jelly turned six years old back in June.  We were hoping they would bond, because of things like this, but when they were out of their cages, it was Wild Kingdom!   I had never heard a rabbit growl before, so they are room brothers but not cage brothers.  It limits their out time, so I wish they would figure that out!


He likes our new house but he's not very sure of the floor!   We plan to get a natural area rug to put down for them when they are out.  For right now, they hop VERY carefully!  I think they are enjoying having TJ with them most of the day.  Butter thumps if he doesn't like the game TJ is playing and they both are pretty noisy in their room when TJ is gone.  I think they've gotten used to the extra attention.  If you ever come over for a visit, just slip them each a dried papaya, craisin, pineapple or banana chip and      you will have a bunny friend or two for life.
This is Jelly today, in our new house




Next post is about the pets we have that bark, Snowy and Peanut!

10 comments:

  1. Bless you Shellie for rescuing these sweet bunnies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but I think they rescued me! They really are doll babies.

      Delete
  2. What a great bunny mom. Way to go I rescue everything. I have friends that the rescue rabbits. I love your heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have room to rescue everything. LOL

      Delete
  3. I enjoy reading your blog. Keep it going!

    - Fellow MWOPER Serena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, glad that I don't totally bore you to death. LOL

      Delete
  4. Hi Shellie!

    I was TherapyNOW over at that other blog before I forgot the password to my Disqus account! I just wanted to say that I've been following your blog and really enjoy it, especially the TJ stories! I'm a child psychologist and I'm lucky enough to work with several children with Aspergers. I love them all!

    I just started up my blog again. Maybe I'll steal your pet post idea and introduce the internet to my cat Josie. Good luck in the new house! Can't wait to see more pics!

    Dani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to share your pets, I would love to see them! I'll post more about TJ as the school year approaches, he is already moaning about it. LOL

      Delete
  5. I've had more rabbits then I can count. We had some big outside bunnies and we moved to a new house and had just brought our very special bunny over to it and a few days later a Rottweiler got in our yard and killed our special huge bunny plus about 3 more. It was horrible. Then we had a bunny who would playful chase my daughter around her room, jumping on the mattress (that sat on the floor) and chasing her in circles. That rabbit was awesome. We've had many indoor and outdoor rabbits in our life. They are so cute! Yours are very cute too! Glad they have you for an owner! I can't wait to hear about the dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( Sorry to hear about your big bunny. Butter likes to dance around my Dad's feet!

      Delete