Followers

Friday, July 27, 2012

Introducing Butter

I thought I would do a series of posts about us.  It might be fun to know a little more about the family behind the blog or it might be boring.      LOL      Anyway, since I recently took pictures of the bun buns, I thought I would start with them! 

First of all, Butter's full name is Butter Honey Biscuit and he was named by a six year old TJ.  If you are wondering why three names, I was informed that EVERYONE has three names-first, middle and last.  That's a literal kid for you.  I guess these buns technically have four names since our last name should go on the end of those.  Butter was bought at a pet store right around Christmas time.   We had been discussing getting TJ his first pet and had talked about chinchillas, rats, hamsters, mice, guinea pigs, bunnies, etc.   We decided on bunnies because they are bigger than guinea pigs and live longer than most of the other things mentioned.  We really didn't want to have our first dead pet talk just a couple of years later.

Anyway, I was on my way to Toys R Us for a first bike for him and stopped at a little pet shop for some fish supplies.  Unfortunately for me, they had two bunnies for sale that had been given up by their owners.   I was with a friend that really isn't a good influence.  We weren't truly ready to get him that pet but she talked me into it.   I was not a knowledgeable bunny owner-small cage, no hay, etc.  After the fight about whether the rabbit could stay or not (we really really weren't ready and this friend likes to cause trouble), we took one look at this and it was a moot point.


So I went online and started doing what I do best, research.   I found out about the hay, realized the cage was no where near appropriate and learned what they could and couldn't eat.  It was a little while but my Dad eventually built Butter a cage.  You can't buy a cage that doesn't have a wire floor but our bun is litter trained.  I didn't want a wire floor.  That's not even mentioning the fact that the cages were absolutely ridiculous in price!   So for less than $75, Dad built the bunny mansion.



  You can tell how proud he was of his creation.  And Butter?   Oh yeah, he knew he had arrived.




Yep, that's his original cage

Anyway, Butter was neutered before he turned a year.  Bunnies have so much of their bodies geared to reproduction, fixing them is a not a choice, its a requirement.  He's happy, healthy, although a bit chunky.  He's not near as um, fluffy as Jelly though.  But that's for the next section, this about Butter!  He loves his out time but he also loves his cage so much that we have trouble getting him out and staying out.  He will be seven years old in August and doesn't appear to be slowing down.  We have all developed terrible allergies to the bunnies but they are family and unless we can find a perfect home where we are guaranteed they will be more spoiled than they are now, they are going nowhere.  Butter is a very laid back bun bun.  He likes to binky and run but he is a master flopper.   Now that they are not in our living room, they are out way more often than they were before.  It was hard to get them out with no space and then Mom had to leave because they choked her up.  It made it very hard to get them out much.

Next post I will talk about Jelly, his name and where he came from.   :)     

8 comments:

  1. I love this! And I love that TJ named the rabbit Butter Honey Biscuit. Best pet name EVER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does have some interesting naming! We did have a male fish named Sara (he had a crush on an older woman-she was a teen at the time), as well as fish named Fisher, Neon and Uncle Sucker. US was the same baby stage as the other fish but he told me even fish need family, so he was Uncle Sucker. LOL

      Delete
  2. Peanut,Butter and Jelly!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The even funnier part is that Mom named Peanut and TJ really wasn't thinking about the Butter and Jelly part when he named the buns!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Aw thanks, I happen to agree! He is a very sweet bun bun, lots of bunny kisses.

      Delete
  4. My kids have 3 bunnies: Colbert, Stewart and Grylls. We love them, and they just enjoy being the bosses of us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunnies are such good pets! You will have to post pics of your buns sometime.

      Delete